Current Events Section
1)‘Women of India’ Exhibition’:-
- The Union Minister of Women and Child Development inaugurated the first of its kind Women of India Exhibition with the theme ‘Women and organic Products’ at ‘Dilli Haat, in New Delhi .
- The ‘Women of India Exhibition’ is a special initiative of WCD Ministry for women’s empowerment under which it invites the women, meets their travel and local accommodation costs, but allows them to keep all the proceeds recovered from the sale of organic produce.
- For the first time in India, over 500 women artisans /entrepreneurs across the country have come together with their organic products, such as tribal and ethnic foods, pickles and preserves, rice, pulses, spices, vegetables and fruits, fabrics, dyes and dresses, cosmetics and household products, in the exhibition.
- Another unique feature of the exhibition will be ‘Forgotten Foods’ like millets such as jhongora, ragi, kuttu, bajra, amaranth, etc which were earlier regarded as healthy foods eaten by all but have lost their popularity over time.
- The main aim of the Exhibition is to support and encourage women and women-led groups which promote organic farming thus supporting local community’s economy, creating jobs and keeping farmers thriving in addition to spreading awareness about the benefits of organic products with the motto “Eat Healthy Live Healthy”.
- Forgotten Foods :- These foods are of immense importance in people’s live and they were nutrient diverse.However with the green revolution and emphasis on few specific crops , compounded with the incentive of Minimum Support Price , many staple foods have lost relevance today, which is worrisome. This is one of the criticism how a policy skewed in favor of certain elements may harm the necessary vital elements.
2) ‘Taxpayers’ Lounge’ at the India International Trade Fair – 2015
- The Income Tax Department will be setting-up a ‘Taxpayers’ Lounge’ at the India International Trade Fair (IITF) – 2015 in New Delhi.
- The theme of the Taxpayers’ Lounge this year would follow the theme of IITF 2015 i.e. ‘Make in India’ and aims to generate awareness in the public about the various taxpayer-friendly initiatives taken by the Department. Besides it, various tax payers services would also be provided at the Taxpayers’ Lounge for the benefit of people at large including e-filing of returns, viewing of tax credit through 26AS, applications for PAN and services of Tax Return Prepares among others
- The Lounge will also highlight the contribution of taxes and the Income Tax Department to nation building. Activities such as Nukkad Natak, Drawing Competition and Quiz Contest will be carried-out to engage with school children and youth, who are potential taxpayers of the future.
- The 14 days India Russia military exercise is progressing at the Mahajan Field Firing Ranges, in Rajasthan
4) Dr Kalam and his Legacy :-
*Note:- The life of Dr A.P.J. Abdul Kalam is an embodiment of ethical values , inspiration and positivism. Hence we are providing a short article on his sayings that can be used while writing Ethics (GS IV) paper answers or Essay .It is always good to write answers linking it to the current context, if one can , as it makes the examiner easy to comprehend and relate to it.
- “Don’t read success stories, you will only get a message. Read failure stories, you will get some ideas to get success”.(This particular quote is specifically holds true for Civil Service Aspirants)
- Geopolitics and Pursuit of power – “Unless India stands up to the world, no one will respect us. In this world, fear has no place only strengths respects strength.”
- Motivational – “Difficulties in your life do not come to destroy you, but to help you realize your hidden potential and power, let difficulties know that you too are difficult.”
- Secularism – “For great men, religion is a way of making friends; small people make religion a fighting tool.”
- Attitude :- All Birds find shelter during a rain. But Eagle avoids rain by flying above the Clouds.Problems are common, but attitude
makes the difference!!!
- Virtue :- Courage is the most important of all virtues because without courage you cannot practice any other virtue consistently.
- Feminism :- If Women can succeed only by emulating men, I think it is a great loss .The aim is not only for women to succeed but also to keep feminine essence and let that influence society.
- Leisure :- Sometimes, it’s better to bunk a class and enjoy with friends, because now, when I look back, marks never make me laugh, but memories do.
- Goodness and Greatness :- See the flower, how generously it distributes perfume and honey. When it’s work is done, it falls away quietly. Try to be like the flower, unassuming despite all it’s qualities.
- Indian History:- Indians have been both afflicted and enriched by centuries of migrations. Loyalty to different rulers has dulled our capacity for a single allegiance. Instead, we have developed an extraordinary ability to be compassionate and cruel, sensitive and callous, deep and fickle, all at the same time. To the untrained eye, we may appear colourful and picturesque; to the critical eye, we are but shoddy imitations of our various masters.
- Inter-connection :- The sweetness we taste in a piece of sugar is neither a property of the sugar nor a property of ourselves. We are producing the experience of sweetness in the process of interacting with the sugar
- Sensitivity :- Praise publicly, but criticize privately
- Dedication:- Be more dedicated to making solid achievements than in running after swift but synthetic happiness